Marilyn Tam, Ph.D. is a Speaker, Author, Consultant, Board Certified Executive/Corporate Coach, CEO of Marilyn Tam & Co. and Founder and Executive Director of Us Foundation. She was formerly the CEO of Aveda Corp., President of Reebok Apparel and Retail Group; Vice President of Nike Inc. and also a successful entrepreneur who has built four companies, including a corporate consulting and training company, a web portal company, a supply chain software company and an integrated health and wellness company.
Inc Magazine ranks her as one of the top 100 Leadership Speakers in the world. She has been named as one of the Top 10 inspirational business speakers by renowned professional speakers' bureaus. Her NPR (Net Promoter Score), the industry standard for measuring customer satisfaction, from her clients is among the highest rated of all speakers. Brand Channel lists her as one of the four most prominent names in Ethical Business globally. She is a contributing writer to Thrive Global/Medium on how to live a happy, healthy, successful, and dynamically balanced life.
Marilyn has had an extraordinarily diverse life, from her beginnings in a traditional Chinese family in Hong Kong to her meteoric rise through the executive ranks of the international business world to become an influential corporate leader, speaker, author, corporate consultant, leadership coach, and respected humanitarian. She is the co-founder and Executive Director of the Us Foundation, whose mission is to facilitate global action plans and dialogue to address social, economic and environmental issues. Us Foundation is one of the partners for United Nations Habitat-II, and was nominated as a candidate for the "Best Practice Award" from the United Nations' Habitat II.
She was a two terms (maximum) director on the national board of SCORE Association, a resource partner of the U.S. Small Business Administration, (SBA). SCORE provides entrepreneurial education and helps in the development, growth and success of over 500,000 small businesses nationwide. She served on the international board of The Reebok Human Rights Awards, along with former President Jimmy Carter; renowned musicians Peter Gabriel, and Sting, Rafer Johnson, Chairman of the Special Olympics; and Kerry Kennedy of the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center, and Paul Fireman, Chairman of Reebok International Ltd. She was awarded The Reebok Human Rights Award for her humanitarian work.
Whether she was directly improving the lot of workers in her contract factories around the world, or developing and conducting seminars to train other entrepreneurs in business leadership programs internationally, Marilyn always gives back. She is committed to the belief that philanthropy is integral to and provides an essential balance and relevance to her work. Marilyn was an advisor to the country of Bhutan, working with the Ministers and government officials to transition the country into the 21st Century while retaining their cultural and environmental heritage.
Marilyn was recognized as one of the Top 30 Female Entrepreneurs in the USA by Fempreneur magazine. Jack Canfield detailed her work in his book on the strategies for success, The Success Principles. She is featured in the best selling book, Fearless Women, midlife portraits by Alspaugh, Kentz, and Halpin; Daryn Kagan, former CNN anchor spotlighted Marilyn as one who dared to dream that they can make a difference, in her book, What's Possible.
She was honored with the Artemis Award for her business and humanitarian work by the Greek government and the Euro American Women's Council in Athens, Greece, with her likeness on a Greek postage stamp. eWomenNetwork presented her with their Lifetime Achievement Award. Marilyn is featured several inspirational documentary movies including The GLOW Project, The Compass, Tapping the Source and FEMME for her accomplishments and inner wisdom. Marilyn is a lifetime member of Who's Who World Wide and is listed in Who's Who in American Women.
Marilyn's book, The Happiness Choice, was the top 3 most read book by businesses according to 800 CEO Read, the leading business book supplier. The book won the Silver Medal of the Global eBook Awards. The book shows how and why happiness is crucial for business productivity and success, and for your physical, emotional, spiritual and financial health. Her book, How to Use What You've Got to Get What You Want, is available globally in six languages. Living the Life of Your Dreams was eBook of the Year in the Inspirational category. She was honored with a Ph.D. in Humane Letters by Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA.
- The Happiness Choice: 5 Decisions that Take You From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be - Happiness is a choice. In 2012 Gallup's research showed that in the USA, $550 billion worth of productivity was lost due to unhappiness and poor wellbeing. People want contentment, love, and happiness derived from meaningful work. They want healthy personal relationships, a healthy mind and body, a spiritual core, and a reason for living. But with only 24 hours in a day and the competing demands of modern life, how can you achieve all of this? The author of The Happiness Choice, speaker Marilyn Tam shares what she learned from being an unwanted, neglected, and abused child in Hong Kong to becoming an international business success and humanitarian who is happy, healthy, and at peace with herself. In this presentation, you will learn the principles, tools, and philosophies Tam and others have used to achieve a productive, healthy, and joyful life. You'll learn what will help power your organization, employees and yourself to greater creativity, productivity and happiness.
- How to Use What You've Got to Get What You Want - Leadership and Personal Excellence: How You Can Achieve It - Whatever qualities you have, no matter how limited or broad that they may be in your own mind, global corporate executive, entrepreneur and humanitarian Marilyn Tam will show you how to use what you've got to achieve your dreams. What seemed to be disadvantages in Marilyn's life were in fact her keys to personal and professional success and freedom. As someone who has broken the glass ceiling, she will share the leadership skills and character traits that really work. Starting from where you are now she leads you to assess your own inherent talents and skills and how to utilize them to your benefit. Hear motivational real life stories, determine your life mission, learn the four key Principles, and then apply the action steps to achieve your dreams. She will show you how to maintain Life Balance and personal peace and happiness while achieving professional success. You will learn from someone who has actual experience and can show you how to develop your assets and apply them effectively to your life mission. The talk/session(s) are engaging and timely; and the results are immediate and inspiring.
- Diversity: How to Reap the Rich Harvest of Culture, Creativity and Community - Learning how to benefit from diversity and to be a leader in a more diverse and global world is a challenge and an opportunity. Indeed, embracing and leveraging diversity is the only way to prosper and grow in the 21st century. Hear stories, learn principles, and apply action steps from Marilyn Tam's global business, humanitarian and consulting experience to become a more successful global leader. A key focus is on helping leaders and employees understand how to adapt and grow their leadership styles to foster a multicultural workplace and attract and engage employees from across the cultural spectrum. As Marilyn Tam is a self-made immigrant woman of color, you will learn from someone who has actually "walked the walk."
- Women in the Workplace and Marketplace - In today's highly competitive and interconnected world, women are invaluable to any enterprise. Yet cultural biases and structural obstacles hinder women's progress This is a loss, for the company, as much as it is for the women. For a business to succeed and continue to thrive today, it needs to fully utilize all the resources available. Marilyn Tam will discuss her personal experience as a corporate leader, woman, business consultant, and humanitarian and share the key factors that helped her become a successful woman in business. You will learn the elements needed to attain success and happiness as a woman in business, and how to support and foster the development of women in business. Included in the presentation will be how to deal with "glass walls" as compared to glass ceiling.
- Living the Life of Your Dreams - Life Balance: How to Juggle Work, Home, Personal and Spiritual Health - The conflicting expectations and conditioning that people have been bombarded with makes them vulnerable to feeling unsatisfied, second rate and confused. Uncertain economic times, the incessant marketing message of "you can have it all" and the hyper-speed of change is hitting people so hard that they are oftentimes reduced to feeling despair in being able to attain any semblance of a balanced life - and even more critically, economic sustainability. This hunger and fear is driving the collective unconsciousness. "Life Balance: How to Juggle Work, Home, Personal and Spiritual Health" is packed with motivation, encouragement, and practical resources for a happier more satisfying life. Marilyn shares from her own experience as well as from the numerous experts whom she has worked and collaborated with in her career and life. You will hear stories and practical examples of both success and failures that lead to the development of Life Balance. Learn practical actionable principles and tools to be able prioritize, allocate resources and balance your life demands to greater success, inner peace and happiness.
- Leadership Excellence, How You Can Achieve It - To be a successful Leader in the 21st Century takes new skills and awareness. Fresh managerial tools and talents are needed to deal with today's global business and the tighter and more visible connections between all aspects of the development, production and consumption cycle. Learn from Marilyn's international business and humanitarian experience on how to be the more effective and productive in business and life while creating collaborative and lasting relationships.She will discuss how to define your mission and the principles and actions steps to ensure a cohesive, productive and energized team. Strategy and outlook into how to plan and lead in today's tumultuous and interconnected business environment will be covered. Marilyn will help you review your personal leadership style and how to enhance it to increase effective communication and maximum sustainable profitable growth and development of your organization.
- The Role of Business in the 21st Century - The 21st Century is a wired and interconnected world, which has modified the roles and responsibilities of business. Business is no longer, if it ever was, only focused on the sole pursuit of the current Profit & Loss statement. It is now an integral and dynamic part of the global community, economy, environment and culture. For business to thrive in these circumstances, clarification of the mission and principles of the organization is needed. Companies, non-profit organizations, sovereign nations and cultures are converging. Businesses are becoming networks with far-reaching influence. How do we ensure a healthy bottom line for everyone? What is our future? Marilyn shares four defining principles for maintaining integrity in business and in life; principles that have helped her improve profitability and working conditions for many companies across the world. Marilyn shares the insights and success secrets she's gained from her global business and humanitarian work to guide you and your company on your path to prospering in this new environment. With real life stories of wins and mistakes told with humor and lessons learned, you will take away key principles and action steps to better navigate in today's fast changing world.
- Global Business today, the Opportunities and Challenges - Business today is global. The development, production and consumption chain stretches from wherever and however "local" the company is to all points of the globe. To excel in this marketplace means that each person and each company have to understand and be proactive about the opportunities and challenges that come with globalization. Marilyn shares from her global business and humanitarian experience in 120 countries about the benefits, ethics and pitfalls that come with working in a complexity of cultures, traditions, geography and time zones. The increasing interrelationships between developers, suppliers, marketers, buyers and sellers mean that every business and organization need to operate with a much more expanded perspective of their market to be able to thrive today. Learn from someone who has successfully managed companies and organizations in a wide variety of cultures and environments. Marilyn share insights and principles learned from practical experience. You and your organization will grow and prosper from her wisdom.