Haydn Shaw has researched and helped clients regarding generational differences for over twenty years. He is the author of Sticking Points: How to Get 4 Generations Working Together in the 12 Places They Come Apart and FranklinCovey's bestselling workshops Leading Across Generations and Working Across Generations. He also writes on generations and leadership for the Huffington Post.
TIME wrote, "Shaw is an expert on cultural differences at the office." He has spoken to over 100,000 people and worked with more than 1,500 businesses (from Fortune 500 companies to start ups), not-for-profit organizations and governmental agencies. The results from his long-term organizational development and change projects have been written up in case studies.
Hailed as a "leadership guru" by the Washington Post, Haydn speaks and consults in excess of 160 days each year to clients who consistently invite him back. Not only does Haydn speak on his own, he has also worked as a senior consultant with FranklinCovey for over twenty one years. He is one of a handful of consultants in FranklinCovey to win the Chairman's Award.
Haydn specializes in five areas: Generational Differences, Change Management, Leadership and Management Development, Personal Productivity and Trust. He has delivered hundreds of convention keynotes or small, off-site workshops. Known for taking groups from hilarity to deep reflection, he combines rich content with use-tomorrow tools. His work makes an impact because he does his homework, customizing each speech so that they drive results. Having worked with hundreds of organizations, Haydn connects with virtually any group in any industry, and brings practical and inspiring examples from the boardroom and the front line.
In addition to his speaking, organizations turn to Haydn for help with generations: (1) facilitating teams through generational sticking points using the 5-step process; (2) adapting communications, policies and systems to make each generation more productive; and (3) designing succession and leadership development plans for those who will replace the retiring Boomers. After years of helping leaders navigate change, Haydn developed his advice into workshops to provide real-world, practical tools for leaders in the Leading Through the 6 Change Reactions and for all employees in Working Through the 6 Change Reactions.
One of the designers of FranklinCovey's signature leadership workshop, he specializes in leadership effectiveness and development, helping both organizations and leaders spend more time leading and less time managing! Haydn has taught The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People more than 1,000 times and is still as excited today as he was when he started about how it combines principles of effectiveness with practical tools. He has helped over 100,000 people discover what matters most, manage their time and energy, and deal with the overwhelming flow of information.
From its release in 2008, Haydn has taught thousands the Speed of Trust workshop/keynote and has helped numerous organizations improve their trust by implementing FranklinCovey's proven methodology.
- Sticking Points: How to Get the 4 Generations Working Together in the 12 Places They Come Apart -
They're here. For the first time in history, you have four generations in your workplace and five generations as customers. Today you have to understand Traditionalists, Baby Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials just to write an email that won't make someone angry. These generations think differently, vote differently, buy differently and dress differently. Not understanding these differences creates conflicts and loses sales. You will learn...
- what the differences are among the generations
- what sticking points the differences create for organizations, teams, and even families
- how marketing approaches must change to reach the younger generations
- what attracts and keeps younger employees
- how these differences will complicate the mass exodus of the Boomers from the full time workforce over the next decade
This popular session is full of laughter and insight. Come and see yourself, your customers, your people and your future - and walk away with practical ideas and plans for increasing your ability to get things done across the generations.
- Half of What You've Heard about the Millennials Is Wrong - The newest generation - the Millennials (ages 14-34) - are here, and the Traditionalists, Baby Boomers, and Generation Xers only know one thing: it's not business as usual. From their multitasking to their smart phones, the text message generation has a different approach. Organizations that figure out how to attract them, adjust to them, and retain them now will jump far ahead of those that ignore them until they make up half the workforce in 10 years.
This presentation will make you laugh, cry, and walk out with use-today ideas. You will learn...
- The secret to understanding Millennials.
- Why half of the criticisms older generations bring against Millennials are just them being grouchy.
- The five things the Millennials misunderstand about the older generations and what to do about it.
- Five ideas you can implement tomorrow to better motivate Millennials.
- The one conversation Millennials complain their boss is too scared to have.
In the words of a thirty year boomer employee, "Before this presentation, I resented the Millennials for wanting things now that took me years to work for. But now, I understand how different their world was than mine and I can't wait to understand them better so I can really enjoy working with them. Plus, this had really helped me understand my own kids. I'm going to talk with them differently tonight."
- Don't Miss Half Your Market: Selling to Traditionalists, Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, and Millennials -
They're here. For the first time in history, you have four generations in your workplace and five generations as customers. Today you have to understand Traditionalists, Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, and Millennials just to write an email that won't make someone angry. These generations think differently, vote differently, buy differently, and dress differently. Not understanding these differences creates conflicts and loses sales. What are the differences between generations? How do we market to the younger generations when they have a different focus than the Boomers did at their age? What issues do the differences create for teams or even families? This popular session is full of laughter and insight. Come and see yourself, your customers, your colleagues, and your future. In this session you will...
- Learn if you "get it." You'll discover if you are being unconsciously rude to other generations.
- You will understand generational differences so you will know when you are taking another generation's behavior too personally.
- They'll get specific ideas for how to adjust your approach so you can become a trusted advisor to each of the generations.
- Leading through the 6 Change Reactions: Why Change Stalls and What You Can Do About It (For leaders, managers and supervisors) - When they announce changes, leaders tell their people that change is now a fact of life. But there is another fact of life: people respond to change in six ways. When leaders and managers ignore the 6 Change Reactions, they make change harder than it needs to be. But you and your leaders can create a change wave rather than struggle to push the change forward. This humorous, fast-paced session presents a breakthrough approach to change. You'll understand The 6 Change Reactions and...
- why change programs backfire
- why trying to help people change is keeping them from changing
- how to map your team or organization on the 6 Change Reactions curve
- why many change teams die a slow death after going in circles until the forward thinking people disengage
- how to set up a team for a quick start
- how to find and train change sales people who can convince the critical few that will move the change forward
- how to help the three negative reactors use their negativity to speed things up rather than bog them down
- how to deal with the one percent hard core resisters so they don't ruin everything
You'll never look at your people the same way again, and they will love you for it.
- Understanding the 6 Change Reactions: Making Change Faster and Easier for All of Us (For all employees) -
Change may be the new normal but the emotions it creates sure shakes up people. Just as the tsunami kills more people than the actual earthquake, people's emotional reactions to change cause more problems than the change itself. This humorous presentation will help your people identify how they and their team mates or customers respond to change. Since people respond to change differently, understanding The 6 Change Reactions will help them ride the change wave and to...
- improve their change readiness
- adjust to change with less frustration
- avoid conflicts
- increase their change skills
- avoid the three ways they could get trapped in negative change emotions
- find their own personal change resources
- disarm their "Light Eater" colleagues, the most dangerous of the change resistors
This fast-paced presentation goes beyond understanding and gives your people a practical approach for dealing with each of The 6 Change Reactions. They'll have new tools for helping their team members and customers move through the change wave. In addition, the presentation accelerates change by neutralizing your most resistant people in a way that will have everyone laughing. This presentation helps you speed up change by helping your people keep moving forward. They will never look at change or each other the same way again.