Colleen Kettenhofen has an in-the-trenches perspective on overcoming adversity and bouncing back higher. Her message goes beyond resilience; it's about using adversity to propel progress.
This award-winning keynote speaker, author, and frequent media guest has presented more than 1,100 entertaining keynotes and seminars before thousands in 48 states and five countries.
A former award-winning salesperson, she was honored as the "number one sales producer in the history of the company both in the United States and Canada" out of almost 200 sales representatives for a major Fortune 500 company. Shortly after, she faced her biggest battle - overcoming colon cancer (luckily stage zero), which was diagnosed just one month following her 31st birthday.
These days, Colleen enjoys hiking in the great outdoors and going on Alaska cruises. She lives with her "Directors of Goodwill" - dogs, Joy and Ginger - in Portland, Oregon.
Colleen Kettenhofen has interviewed more than 200 managers and a handful of executives for her new book, Secrets Your Boss Isn't Telling You. She is a corporate trainer, conference keynote speaker, and international workplace employee and management expert. A media veteran, she has appeared on numerous radio shows around the country and has written over 40 popular articles on diverse workplace issues. She is the author of 10 published audio programs and two books and is a graduate of Southern Methodist University.
- You, the Boss Whisperer? How to Manage Up (Alternate title: Secrets Your Boss Isn't Telling You) - What if you could know what your boss is thinking? Their employee likes and dislikes? Who they want to hire, promote, and fire? As an author, change management specialist, and workplace expert, Colleen Kettenhofen has interviewed over 200 managers and more than a handful of CEOs to find out job-critical secrets about employees that bosses don't share easily. Many of them revealed details of what they expect and, more importantly, don't expect from their employees. Concerned about losing your job? In this fun, interactive, and entertaining session, Colleen will reveal how to tell if your boss really likes you or is just going through the motions. Discover the top 10 biggest frustrations of managers you must avoid. You'll also learn five key traits employees need to possess to be considered exemplary by executives and CEOs. If you're eager to gain recognition or a raise (who isn't?), you'll discover the top 10 things most employees don't know or do to keep their bosses happy...and much more!
(Keynote. Also available in half-day and full-day formats). This program can be tailored for health care.
- How to Tune Up Your Team to Do Anything!! (Alternate title: Managing Change, Embracing Accountability, and Achieving Success) - Chances are you know of managers who've been promoted to leadership positions based on their performance, but they haven't had management training. The skills that got them promoted aren't the ones they're using to manage people - especially those who have a sense of entitlement.
Colleen explains, "Many managers who haven't had conflict resolution training are learning that effective communication skills are bare-bones survival skills. How do they manage the difficult people they've inherited?" Colleen coaches bosses in what to say, what not to say, and how to say it when managing difficult people. "For example, let's say you're a team leader but not someone's direct report. Our leadership training helps you establish greater trust, communication, and credibility between you and your team."
In this in-demand program, you'll explore how to get your team on board to accept change, embrace accountability, and achieve measurable results. Colleen provides practical insights that can be put in place immediately to manage and motivate the "gossips, whiners, and drama employees" in every generation and every workplace. (Available in keynote, half day, full day, and two day formats).
- How to Overcome Adversity When You Don't Have a Choice (Alternate title: Navigating Change and Bouncing Back Higher) - In these rapidly changing times people are doing more with less, experiencing job insecurities, facing health challenges - and dealing with "adventures" at home. If this describes you, it's time to tap into the power of adversity and bounce back.
Known as The Queen of from Trouble to Turnaround, Colleen explains, "Everyone experiences adversity in different doses. But we can go beyond resilience to actually bounce back higher. The secret is in using adversity to propel you forward, faster, and with mental fortitude." Colleen comes with personal credentials to back her claim in this warm, lively, and upbeat program. She shares anecdotes of her journey from cancer patient to courageous thriver 20 years later. Using humor, passion, and energy, she provides practical insights for turning a negative into a positive at work and beyond.
Specifically, you'll discover 8 coping strategies that survivors of difficulties - whether emotional, physical, or circumstantial - put into practice. Colleen's riveting stories serve as a wake-up call, igniting passion and purpose for all who hear her. Often, after her presentation, participants share how it feels to be appreciated, uplifted, and empowered. Especially beneficial for healthcare-related groups, caregivers, this program can be the highlight of Nurses' Week, cancer survivor celebrations, and other events that bring people together to celebrate life and strength.
(Available in keynote, half day, and full day formats).
- Navigating Change and Bouncing Back Higher! (Alternate title: Achieving Personal and Professional Success: Renew, Refuel, Re-charge) - Do you feel like you're one person doing the work of 18 people? If so, this fun, interactive program reveals strategies for doing more with less so you can achieve the results you want in half the time! More than that, you'll learn to recognize self-sabotaging thought patterns and practice strategies for boosting your self-confidence. (The goal is to motivate your audience with a "we're all in this together" approach).
If you're dealing with difficult people, Colleen identifies 11 communication pitfalls you should avoid and why. She then provides specific words and phrases for what to say, what not to say, and how to say it. Are you seeking more recognition? A promotion? Colleen reveals 7 secrets most people don't know or do to keep their bosses happy. How can you use change and uncertainty to get and stay motivated? Explore Colleen's proven methods for maximizing success and minimizing stress in the face of extensive shifts in the workplace.
Want to know what your boss thinks? Colleen interviewed hundreds of managers to discover their 10 biggest pet peeves- discussed in this session and in her book, Secrets Your Boss Isn't Telling You.
(Available in keynote, half day, and full day formats). This program can be tailored for healthcare.
- 7 Magic Wands for Making Difficult People Disappear! (Alternate title: How to Have Patience with Your Patients) - Every day is filled with a colorful cast of characters. How do you deal with the difficult ones who get under your skin? And what if they're your clients, patients, or coworkers?
Colleen says, "Having an interaction with a difficult person can set the tone for the entire day and be tough to shake off. Have you ever told yourself to ignore that person's comment, but it still lingers? What can you do instead? Counteract the difficult person's aftertaste by going immediately into a positive environment. You'll find it blunts the comment's impact for the rest of the day."
In this energetic and empowering session, Colleen explores 7 magic "prescriptions" for making difficult people disappear. You'll discuss what makes difficult people tick, what ticks them off, and what you can do about them! Might YOU be a difficult person?! Discover how to keep yourself sane and secure with a still-sunny disposition. This session gives you fresh new ways to process your emotions and enjoy the day. Guaranteed!
- Presentation Skills That Hit a Home Run with Even the Toughest Audience! - Do you want to conquer your fear of public speaking and boost your confidence and credibility once and for all? We all have butterflies - especially in a high-stakes environment. The key is getting those butterflies organized, focused, and flying in formation.
In this session, Colleen reveals 7 easy strategies for minimizing nervousness and maximizing memory skills so you won't blank out. You'll identify 8 essentials for delivering a persuasive presentation that is entertaining and engaging - even with technical material. And you'll discover how to design and use visual aids for maximum effect. Participants practice how to effectively organize a powerful speech and make their stories and statistics sing. The bonus? You'll have an opportunity to present to a small group live.
Find out how to hit a home run with your public speaking skills, even with your toughest audience. You'll explore proven principles for captivating your audience, discover how to handle a hostile audience, address questions you don't know how to answer, and score more points. (Colleen also recommends her advanced two-day presentation skills seminar, videotaping optional). Executive speech coaching also available.