Mike Hourigan is a refreshingly unique keynote speaker, change management expert and author who empowers the country's top companies to navigate constant change with real-world wisdom. A veteran leadership consultant and productivity expert, Mike is consistently sought after and hired by the top companies in the U.S., including McDonald's, Harley-Davidson, Disney, GE, Marriott, Aetna, ExxonMobil and Kaiser Permanente.
Decades of corporate experience have allowed Mike to develop a completely fresh approach to team building, sales management, and customer service training. With a style that engages listeners in a way that's meaningful to them and their company culture, Mike rarely gives his audiences a moment between laughs.
A former member of the management teams of Cargill Inc. and Olympus Corporation, Mike has offered over 1,000 audiences-and-counting the benefit of his real-world corporate experience. A seasoned author, his books include Riding the Waves without Getting Wet: A Journey to Leadership and Motivational Selling.
As one of the top keynote speakers in the United States, Mike has developed a comprehensive roster of speeches that address the key issues that affect companies most. From the growing need for soft skills training and interpersonal communications, to the subtle nuances of conducting business in a global economy, Mike Hourigan continues to the lead the industry in dynamic presentations that direct executives and entire companies toward real, lasting change.
Audiences say his honest humor and exuberance for life find a way of impacting everyone and leaving them with a willingness to confront the important issues and laugh at the less important ones. Meeting planners agree you will appreciate Mike Hourigan's passionate perspective, energetic eloquence, customized content and genuine concern for his audience members.
- Riding the Waves Without Getting Wet: How to Manage Change in Today's Workplace - Bad economy. Poor morale. Sweeping changes. How can you keep your head above water while the stormy seas of absurdity churn around you? This program shares strategies for managing change in organizations swirling in the turbulent waters of change. One thing is certain, people are looking to their leaders for direction and leaders are trying to find it before it changes again. Mike Hourigan, the workplace commentator, will show you what to do about change management and how to do it. Whether you are at the crest or in the trough, he will show you how to become change resilient and stay dry. This lively program makes leading change almost as fun as a day at the beach. You will learn how to avoid going under the waves of change and spend more time riding the productive and even fun waves. When you leave the program, you will be able to recognize, predict, and plan for change. You will also be able to teach your mangers how to motivate through change rather than dread it.
- Taking the "Cuss" out of Customer Service - Many people feel customer service is just a fancy form of lip service. Other people feel it is their constitutional right to bully and demean anyone who interacts with customers either on the phone or in person. So what is a customer service representative supposed to do? This practical program is filled with real answers to real customer service situations like how to work with a customer who is wrong. Best of all you will leave with confidence to help you present your company and your product and yourself in any situation. Additionally, you will feel better at the end of the day and not dread the next day.
- Communication: It's Not Part of It, It's All of It - How often have you said: "Why did that employee go ballistic?" Or "Why do I have to work with a jerk?" Whether you like it or not, you have to find a way to communicate with people. Mike Hourigan's high energy, fast-paced session brings understanding to some of the most difficult communications problems like handling the back stabber, the gossip, or the difficult boss. Mike's satirical and real world look at interpersonal communications weaves you through this mine field and provides easy to use solutions. In many cases, poor communication skills waste a lot of time. You will learn how to get off the phone quicker, how to get out of meetings faster, and how to get the "ploppers" out of your office in record time. Have you ever made someone mad but didn't mean to? You will learn how to prevent this. You will even learn how to say "no" to people without hurting their feelings. If you hire people, work with people, or know any people, this is the program for you!
- Let's Not Split the Difference: How to Get What You Want Through Negotiation - Many view negotiation as a mysterious process; others see it as manipulation or dirty tricks. Good negotiation is a healthy process where everyone leaves the table feeling good about the outcome, themselves, and most importantly - each other. From buying a car to making a multi-million dollar corporate purchasing decision, the skills are the same and everything counts! Every negotiation can be the beginning of the next negotiation and every negotiation has a beginning, middle and end. The trick to successful negotiation is making sure it is following your GPS system and getting you to your desired destination. Mike Hourigan will show you how to remain confident by staying in control of any negotiation situation. Don't enter into another high stakes negotiation - including buying a car or house - without learning these powerful skills.
- What Does Change Have To Do with Sales? - Change affects your bottom line as well and your pipeline. Your market has changed, purchasing decisions have changed, and your sales force has changed. Buying decisions are being made using much different information than ever before. Your customer base consists of four different generations; 61% of LinkedIn members are between the ages of 35-64! In a word, they are your buyers and you better know how to approach them. Fear of change can be paralyzing to your customers and your sales people, but you do not have to let it. Join author, keynote speaker, and former sales manager, Mike Hourigan, for this fast-paced, hilarious, and information packed presentation. Mike will show you how to improve your sales results by harnessing change and including it in your sales and management strategy.
- Leadership Dexterity: The Art and Science of Leadership - Is Leadership an Art or is it a Science? Business school professors will say it is a science, seasoned leaders will argue it is an art. No matter which side of the argument you are on - most people will concede it is a little of both. Mike Hourigan's program looks at some the issues in between: what gets people promoted and what employees want. Mike Hourigan discusses some of the gray areas of management such as how to motivate people without spending money, the difference between coaching and managing, and how to praise someone to get repeated behavior and not feel like a wimp. He will also address how to stop people from plopping at your desk, how to understand the 3d's of employee perception, and how to get people to do the job because they want to do it. You will leave with management tools you can implement immediately.
- Recruiting, Interviewing and Keeping Great People Today - Everyone has done it and most people don't like to admit it: made a bad hiring decision. The consequences of a bad hiring decision can range from hysterical to legal. When it comes to recruiting and interviewing, most people are a little skittish. When it comes to employee retention, most people are a little baffled. Mike Hourigan's colorful and astute perspectives will help you decide whom to hire, how and where to find them, how to screen them, and how to keep them once you've got them. Participants will understand the importance of asking the right interview questions and how to develop these questions; learn how to improve the quality of interview candidates through more innovative recruiting and learn motivational techniques to allow them to keep good employees.
- Teamwork Is More Than Just Hats & T-Shirts: How to Inspire Commitment, Teamwork and Cooperation - Simply giving out team hats and shirts does not make a team gel - but having the right management and communication skills do. All too often people think throwing a bunch of people together and calling them a team will get better results. Usually what happens is the dedicated, hard workers end up doing more work and the slackers get to do less. Mike Hourigan's program will look at the real issues of developing a winning team. Issues addressed include: what to do with people who do not want to be team players; finding individual strengths and maximizing them for best results; understanding why it seems impossible to get along with certain people and how to communicate with them; how to deal with the "know it all, back stabbers"; and dealing with another time waster - meetings. You will learn problem-solving methods to optimize team effectiveness and get the tools you need to achieve superior results with your teams.
- How to Say "No!" to Stress and Avoid Burnout - "I don't get stress I give it!" "I can't find the app for it on my cell." "I'm too busy for stress." We all laugh about it, but we all have it. If you don't do something about stress, it leads to burnout. This fast-paced program gives you a real and amusing look at what stress is and what it does to you: from memory loss to loss of confidence, as well as losing the ability to perform. All of these can be symptoms of burn out. Let Mike Hourigan, author of the "A Tip A Day On Change and Stress Management" audio program, show you what to do and how to do it. The program is loaded with tons of stress busters and practical solutions. You will leave with a plan to dilute your stress and not burden your loved ones. You will learn the three reasons people are burning out and how ineffective worry is.
- The Travel & Tour Agent's Guide to Happy Customers: How to Keep Clients through Exceptional Service - Mike Hourigan is a refreshingly unique tourism presenter who empowers North America's top travel professionals to navigate change, customer service, sales negotiation and generational teambuilding with real-world wisdom. A veteran leadership consultant and productivity expert, Mike is consistently sought after and hired by hospitality and tourism groups including HFTP, the American Bus Association, Hilton Hotels, Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International, the American Outdoors Association, Meeting Professionals International, MGM Resorts International and Marriott International. Decades of corporate and association experience have allowed Mike to develop a completely fresh approach to management, sales, change and client services. Mike presents customized programs for tourism professionals on market change, communication, customer service, sales negotiation and generational team building.
- How Change Affects Association Membership & Participation - The major reason people used to join associations was for information, which they can now find on the internet. Members joined to network spend time with others like them, and now they do not have the time. People joined because their company paid their fees and travel and now many of them don't. Any association is only as strong as its committee members and it has become difficult to get members to commit. Join Mike Hourigan as he looks at all these issues and shares a few conventional and quite a few unconventional ways to attract members, get them involved, and make them want to recruit for your association.
- Active Listening for Optimum Results: Understanding What You are Missing - 75% of your day is spent communicating: 9% is spent writing, 16% reading, 30% speaking, and a whopping 45% listening! Active listening is the communication skill that will deliver the biggest payoff, yet it's the skill most often neglected. Listening is the skill everyone expects you to have mastered but was never taught. Unfortunately, just like breathing, most of us think listening comes naturally. When you attend your first golf or yoga lesson, you may find you have been doing it wrong or not as effectively as you could. Listening is no different. This listening skills program will show you how to accomplish more by speaking less.
- When it's YOUR Turn to Speak: Easy Ways to Improve YOUR Speaking Skills - Fast Communicating Safely - No matter what your position, sooner or later you will be called on to speak. The ability to communicate your ideas with impact and clarity has nothing to do with being an actor or comedian. It has everything to do with how you prepare, address different audiences, and know your material. All too often people miss great opportunities because they are afraid to speak, or do not present themselves well and were overlooked for better jobs. This program is designed to provide individual instruction on how you can present yourself in the best possible light. Participants will interact with Mike Hourigan, CSP (Certified Speaking Professional) in a safe, fun, and hilarious environment. They will learn at least 25 techniques to make their presentations easy, simple, and stress free. (no joke telling, quoting Shakespeare, or baton twirling required). Mike will share some of his speaking secrets and help you develop your next speech. As a bonus, Mike's "Cheat Sheet" on how to prepare for a presentation in just 5 minutes is included.
- Hard Hats, Safety Glasses and Respirators Can't Protect Workers from Stress: How to Make Your Workplace Safer By Reducing It - It's a well-known fact, people are safer on the job than they are at home. This is true for everything except stress and the dangerous consequences it causes to people, property and productivity. This program shows how to create a safer workplace by helping employees become more productive and stress-resistant.
- Hiring for Safety - You may never know all of the accidents you prevent, but you will always remember all of your safety hiring mistakes. In this illuminating keynote, Mike Hourigan cautions safety managers on what to look for in potential candidates to avoid hiring an on-the-job hazard.